A day like no other

The atmosphere in the car was buzzing with joy, laughter and pure childish nonsense. My friend and I were "hard at work" gossiping, playing arround with past memories and remembering the easy and restrictive life that once fulfilled our desires and dreams. The road was pretty clear so we were driving at a resonable speed, making the best out of a 4 hour drive untill Bucharest. As we were fooling around, "dancing" to the sound of the radio, a monster truck seemed to block our smoth sailing on the freeway, so my friend thought, as a normal driver would, of passing by the so called obstacle. The passing track was clear so she went for it. Apparently the long vehicle driver saw us in his rearview mirror so he must have stepped on the gas pedal because we weren't really passing by him. Suddenly the light and relaxed feeling that floated through both of us changed: another monster truck was coming from the front of the road. The trees looked like they were flashing by us at the speed of light, deformed by the laws of physics into a wall of green displayed so clear by the car window...We were stuck halfway through the truck on our right and the one speeding from the front..
I felt my legs slowly ice up and numb down...they say that in moments like this time dimes down, slowes down and everything appears to happen in slow motion. I felt stranded in time, as if "forever" was then and there happening around us..I remember I heard myself speaking in a low voice: "at least I won't feel anything when we'll hit...and this should be in a few moments now...why didn't it happen already?"
I was so stiff that I couldn't take my eyes off of the speeding monster truck in front of us, the one that seemd ok with the front collision...It was coming at us like a hawk on a pray...
I felt my friend behind the wheel flooring it to the ground...the engine roared...she shifted gears...it felt like we were picking up speed but we weren't advancing at all, the truck on our right was hiting the gas pedal once again...
They say that you get to see your whole life streaming in front of your eyes...important events, beloved ones...my head, for the first time throughout my conscious existence, was a bundle of monumental silence...so empty...so quiet, so calm...
Something ever more strange started to happen...a bunch of numbers, figures, features started popping up...ford focus, a 1.9 engine with a direct gasoline injection, 152 mph top speed, reaches up to 60 mph in let's say 6 seconds...distance until impact: less than fifty feet? 2 more feet to overcome the looney idiot to our right...current speed? X- can't see, too horrified...we need one more gear shift...but do we have the time to do that?
My brain found no answer...maybe it didn't want to do the math, maybe it didn't need to...a lovely high-pitched piano melody started to relax my imagination..a guitar brought some delightfully low notes to the picture...an entire symphony imploded in my head...my body felt tense and at the same time numb whereas my brain unleashed wild, crazy music in my head...I was enjoying the moment and at the same time fearing it terribly...
When we passed the first truck, a few inches away from the second one...it felt like a black whole drained me down the floor of the car...like I'd hit a wall and part of me sticked to it and part of it went through...The adrenaline pumped back feeling into my muscles, music stopped...We went silent all the remaining 2 and a half hours...
This just goes to show that no matter how good of a driver you may be and think you are there's an idiot out there willing to put you up to the test!!!

Postări populare